[sword-devel] .conf files encoding/tags

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Wed Oct 3 13:51:39 MST 2007

I browsed through the beta area module .conf files. It's great to see
so many new ones with new features.

One rant I have. Why on earth is stupid braindead rtf or other
strange formatting used in .conf files? See this example from TurNTB:

About=New Turkish Bible translation, jointly translated and published by
K\u00305?tab\u00305? Mukaddes \u00350?irketler (www.kitabimukaddes.com)
and Yeni Ya\u00351?am Yay\u00305?nlar\u00305? (www.yyyayinlari.com). We
are grateful for the permission by Yeni Ya\u00351?am
Yay\u00305?nlar\u00305? to distribute this translation.

How are the frontends supposed to display this correctly? This is year
2007 and this kind of project should use utf8 in conf files also. \par
is quite easy to replace but why not use <br> instead, that kind of html
tagging is used in many places even without real html browsers. Rtf is
M$ proprietary format.

I seriously suggest that one and only one character encoding and
formatting tagging will be chosen and used. All old modules should be
checked and fixed.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland