[sword-devel] Calvin's Commentaries - new module

Luke Plant L.Plant.98 at cantab.net
Fri Nov 30 15:45:40 MST 2007

On Friday 30 November 2007 17:19:16 Barry Drake wrote:
> Hi there ........
>
> Luke Plant wrote:
> > The module strips out everything that isn't commentary,
> > including Calvin's latin translation of the text and all the
> > forewords and indexes -- I think that is better, for now at least.
>
> Sorry to be pedantic - and personally I'm not in the least worried
> whether the Latin is in or out, but I thought I ought to mention that
> the Latin version is from Jerome's Vulgate, which was around a very
> long time before Calvin was a twinkle in his dad's eye.

The translator's preface for Calvin's commentary on Genesis says that
the Latin is Calvin's own translation, which was probably based on work
by Leo Juda.  Certainly a quick comparison to the Vulgate shows that it
differs quite significantly, at least in the two passages that I picked
at random (Genesis 1 and Jeremiah 1).  What made you say it was from
the Vulgate?

Luke

--
"Mediocrity: It takes a lot less time, and most people don't realise
until it's too late." (despair.com)

Luke Plant || http://lukeplant.me.uk/