[sword-devel] spam problem with wiki

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 28 08:30:16 MST 2007

I thought I'd give a status report on preventing spam on the wiki.

I installed a black list that wikipedia uses to manage spam. It is
appropriately named SpamBlacklist. The way it works is that about once
every 15 minutes (or more depending on inactivity in the wiki) the
mediawiki extension will download the list from mediawiki. By using it
from their website as opposed to a cached copy, we get the benefit of
changes they make. It should be as reliably available as wikipedia,
since it is the same technique they use.

I have created a page
http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/index.php/AntiSpam:BlackList as an
extension for sites that hit us but are not covered by wikipedia's
blacklist. This page is editable, but will require you to log in to edit
it. If we have any problems with it, I'll change the login to sysops.

The Talk page is editable anonymously, so you can always suggest
additional changes there.

This was prompted by a spammer that created invisible spam. That is spam
in a div with a style that hid the div. Go figure.