[sword-devel] An Introduction/Questions

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 25 12:30:23 MST 2007

Welcome Doug!

Doug Rintoul wrote:
> Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Doug Rintoul and I am with
> Wycliffe/SIL. I have recently joined a team dedicated to bringing a good
> translation environment to Linux. Part of that task is making the
> material in Translators Workplace available under Linux. For those you
> who may not know...Translator's Workplace (TW) is a software package
> containing such resources for translators as Bible versions,
> commentaries, translation resources, and dictionaries and lexicons. It
> was originally developed for Windows-based computer systems using Folio
> Views. We have many in house documents as well as material that we have
> licensed from other publishers.

Hopefully, it will run on the Mac as well. That is a variant of Unix.

> Over the past couple of weeks I have perusing through the sword-devel
> email list to get me up to speed on the issues of using Sword. This
> brings me to my first question. Is there an easy way to search the list?
> I always like to research an area before I make suggestions/ask
> questions. Being able to search the list would sure make it a lot easier.

Personally, I use google, putting sword-devel as the first word in the
search.
This list is public and various sites index it. You might find one of
them easier.
For example:
http://www.opensubscriber.com/messages/sword-devel@crosswire.org/topic.html

> Now for my first technical question. Some of our commentaries have book
> and chapter introductions. The Sword API does allow for this by
> specifying chapter and verse 0 as the verse key for book introductions
> and verse 0 as the verse key for chapter introductions. Unfortunately
> there appears to be a limitation as to the amount of material that can
> be retrieved by calls such as GetRawEntry. I believe this is due to the
> choice of unsigned short for various size variables. I was wondering
> what the ramifications would be of changing unsigned short to some other
> more accommodating data type or if there are other ways of getting
> around this limitation? Many of our introductions far exceed the
> theoretical limit of 65536 that unsigned short allows for.

I'll leave this one to one of the other developers.