[sword-devel] OSIS recommendations to SIL/JAARS

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 23 21:37:50 MST 2007

Michael,
It is good to hear from you again.

Couple of comments:
and the semantics of <p> don't allow for it to simply be ended and
restarted on verse boundaries. So I see several  options: 1) don't
use <p> at all, 2) simulate <p> with something like <lb type="x-end-
paragraph"/> and <lb type="x-start-paragraph"/> or 3) submit a change
request against the OSIS spec or 4) always mark paragraphs between
verses . I suggest 2 and 3, as 2 will allow a migration as the intent
is clear. Having paragraphs start and end between verses is allowable
in all cases.

You refer to XMLT. Is this a typo? Should it be XSLT?

With regard to quotes: Quotes frequently cross verse boundaries. This
means with verses as containers that they need to be in the
milestoned form: <q sID="xxx"/> and <q eID="xxx"/>. In your sample
text you have </q marker="'"> This is improper.

When using milestoned elements it is easy to produce valid but poor
OSIS with respect to overlapping elements. When considering just the
milestoned sID/eID pairs, they should not overlap as in:
eID="aaa"/>

Likewise, it is easy to produce the following which is also not
recommended:
Here a division element ends right before the verse end.

Having elements between verses is sometimes problematic for verse at
a time processing. Such software needs to guess when looking at a
single verse whether to append or prepend some or all of the
interverse content. It should be used sparingly, and consistently.

Hope this helps.

In His Service,
	DM