[sword-devel] Bible Desktop Editorial View (was Re:Virtual Library of Theology)

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 23 08:50:39 MST 2007

David (Mailing List Addy) wrote:
> On Monday 23 July 2007 08:58, DM Smith wrote:
>
>> Take a look at BibleDesktop (www.crosswire.org/bibledesktop) as it
>> has the ability to not only show books in parallel, but is able to
>> show an "editorial view" of different editions/versions of a work.
>> That is it will visually show you the edits necessary to transform
>> one text into another.
>>

> So is this something you added into the core of the JSword engine or something
> you do in the BibleDesktop front end?

It is in the core engine.

The code that does the differencing is in the package:
org.crosswire.common.diff
This is a java implementation of some open source javascript code that I
found.

The code that uses it to is in the class:
org.crosswire.jsword.book.BookData.java

And there is a helper to convert the diff list into OSIS in:
org.crosswire.jsword.book.OSISutil.diffToOsis()

Here is a snippet on how it is used:
    // Compare the text of two verses, excluding OSIS or other markup
    List diffs = new Diff(lastText, thisText, false).compare();
    // Make the diff more meaningful
    DiffCleanup.cleanupSemantic(diffs);
    // Convert it to osis
    String osisFragment = OSISUtil.diffToOsis(diffs);