[sword-devel] GPL 3 licencing issues

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 17 05:15:58 MST 2007

My opinion (and I may be wrong on any of this).

We should not "upgrade" the license unless we are solving a problem
or need. We have lots of other things to work on.

The licenses should be compared to see what the differences are and
whether it contributes anything. I read v3 a while back (long before
it was finalized) and it appeared to be addressing tivolization,
patent and drm issues, but otherwise looked pretty much the same.
(see Richard Stallman's http://www.gnu.org/licenses/rms-why-
gplv3.html for an overview of the differences)

We won't need to upgrade until we want to link with v3 licensed
software.

We would also need to see if other 3-rd party software is compatible
with the upgrade (assuming that it is compatible with v2). For a
complete listing of compatibility see: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/
license-list.html Note: this is the list for v3. The list for v2 was
different. I don't know what the differences are, but I hear that
Apache (ASF) is compatible with v3 but not v2.

Note the last paragraph that discusses the "or later" phrase. It also
allows the CrossWire model of single ownership. Having "or later"
does not solve the compatibility issue. It merely allows the license
to be upgraded.

The GPL in any version or flavor is *not* a theft deterrent. It is a
legal document, useful for people who care what the license says/
means. Ultimately, as a non-income organization, we have little
recourse beyond prayer and appealing to people to honor the license.

As I read it, It is still a distribution license.

I don't see that the GPL protects software in the following ways:
1) If software is not distributed, then the source does not have to
be either. I think it is an open question whether "software as a
service" constitutes distribution.
2) It does not prevent forking, re-branding or hiding origination.
3) It does not prevent using it as a plug-in in a non-GPL application.

In His Service,
	DM