[sword-devel] GPL 3 licencing issues

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Mon Jul 16 16:25:06 MST 2007

Sorry for all the typos and 'top-posting', but I'm at work so this will also
be a quick comment.

1) I had thought I removed all the 'or later versions' from all the files a
few years back, as it seemed too open-ended.

2) Jason Galyon pointed out the possibility of companies asking us for a
special license.  We advertise on our website our willingness to do this in
certain circumstances.

3) To facilitate #2, CrossWire has always had a transfer of ownership policy
for our base repository of code.  All code in our repository is (C)
CrossWire Bible Society under terms of the GPL, instead of "(C) by various
authors of this code".  Without requiring tranfer of ownership it would make
it impractical to say we could offer other licensing options or even that we
could change the licensing in the future.  If transfer of ownership policy
scares you, remember that you don't give up your ownership of your own code,
you merely give CrossWire full ownership priviledges, as well.

-Troy.