[sword-devel] GPL 3 licencing issues

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Mon Jul 16 14:33:19 MST 2007

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007, Chris Little wrote:
> Whether the license would still result in free software would depend on
> the actual license terms. Of the three examples I listed, only the
> second, if written as an explicit prohibition on the "freedom" to embed
> adware, would result in non-free software. The others are entirely
> permissible in free software, at least as defined by Debian.
>
> I think I'd also add a requirement that distributors notify users that
> the software is free and include attribution and a link to CrossWire.

These terms (except the second one), or something like these, seem to be
possible under GPL 3 (see section 7). I strongly advice against anything
which is incompatible with GPL.

I cannot be sure but I think that someone who is willing to circumvent
the GPL 2 or 3 licence would do the same thing with any licence as long
as the source code is available and he can modify the program.

Usually extra restrictions and rules hurt only those who obey the rules,
not those who break them.

Also, Rom. 12:19-20.

Any of us don't actually loose anything even if someone sells our
software illegally. Why should we then be bitter when we know that he is
responsible in front of God the Judge?

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland