[sword-devel] GPL 3 licencing issues

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Mon Jul 16 12:44:03 MST 2007

jhphx wrote:
> Can you include work released under 2 or 3 that was licensed without the
> additional restrictions in a work that has the additional restrictions.
> I didn't think that kind of thing was allowed. Is that a "compatible"
> license? It has been a long time since I have looked at this.

I'm not sure. I'd have to re-read the GPL, but it would obviously depend
on the actual terms of the modified license. We might have to replace
non-CrossWire GPL code in Sword if we changed the license--which would
not be a big deal.

There's also the possibility of just licensing BibleCS under a modified
license since it's really only the Windows software (BibleCS and Bible
Desktop) that have been or are very likely to be abused by commercial
interests.

--Chris