[sword-devel] GPL 3 licencing issues

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Mon Jul 16 09:34:45 MST 2007

It's probably time we (or maybe just Troy) decided how we feel about
GPL3. The final version does seem to have addressed the more onerous
issues of the drafts and there are enough significant GPL2 projects
changing over to GPL3 that I would feel comfortable with Sword doing
likewise.

I think we should drop the "or any later version" language from all of
the files that CrossWire owns, and change everything to specific license
versions.

If we did go the GPL3 route, we should probably dual license under GPL2
and GPL3 for at least a few years so as not to force front-end
developers to change licenses (at least not yet).

Another option is to write a GPL (2 or 3) derivative license that adds
some additional restrictions to prevent some of the commercial abuses of
our software that we've seen in the past: restrictions against changing
the software title to hide its identity, restrictions against embedding
ad banners, a requirement that CrossWire be notified prior to
distribution of derivative works, etc.

--Chris