[sword-devel] GPL 3 licencing issues

keith preston keithpre at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 08:04:16 MST 2007

Speaking of licensing issues, I've always wondered why Sword was licensed
under the GPL license.  Is there a specific purpose for being specifically
GPL?   To me if would be benifical for the library to be LGPL or a less
restrictive license.   I mean the purpose of the code is to make the bible
available and is specifically designed in that respect.   I believe the GPL
restricts use of this purpose.

For example, say I am a commercial company and I put out a device and
publish an api to my UI.   Some random hacker comes around and implements a
sword program with that API and distribute the program freely.    This
generally is only possible if the company decided to open source their
entire UI, which frequently might not be the case.  In fact, the GPL
restricts what components can be linked into a program.

There are probably more issues then I am thinking of here, but to me I would
give the code away and hope people used it to make the bible available to
more people.

Keith Preston