[sword-devel] Html filter questions

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Sun Feb 18 20:52:14 MST 2007

Ben,

A couple comments below:

Ben Morgan wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have some questions with the FMT_HTMLHREF filter. Let's say I do the
> following in python:
> from Sword import *
> mgr = SWMgr(MarkupFilterMgr(FMT_HTMLHREF, ENC_HTML))
> mgr.setGlobalOption("Footnotes", "On")
> mod=mgr.getModule("ESV")
> mod.RenderText(VerseKey("John 3:1"))
>
> What I get out is this (breaking it up for legibility):
>
>     Now there was a man of the Pharisees named
>     <a

You shouldn't get cross-references out when you turn on "Footnotes".
But I still think I understand your request.  The current HTMLHREF
filter set renders href links for most attributes of a verse (HTML
HREF).  This is the purpose of the filter set.  You are requesting
cross-reference type footnotes to show the verse references inline
instead of the superscripted *x.  This seems a reasonable request and is
doable, but will require a little work on your part on the C++ side.  I
don't think the python bindings will allow extending C++ classes, but I
could be wrong.  You will need to:

inherit the OSISHTMLHREF class
override handleToken and handle note tags specially with code like:

bool MyOSISRenderFilter::handleToken(SWBuf &buf, const char *token,
BasicFilterUserData *userData) {
	XMLTag tag(token);
	if (!strcmp(tag.getName(), "note")) {
		buf += /* Your markup here */
	}
	else {
		return OSISHTMLHREF::handleToken(buf, token, userData);
	}
	return true;
}

(You can copy OSISWEBIF as an example)

Then inject your render filter into the engine:

inherit SWMgr and override AddRenderFilters with a code like:

void MySWMgr::AddRenderFilters(SWModule *module, ConfigEntMap &section) {
	static MyOSISRenderFilter myOSISRenderFilter;
         switch (module->Markup()) {
         case FMT_OSIS:
	        module->AddRenderFilter(&myOSISRenderFilter);
                 break;
         default:
	        SWMgr::AddRenderFilters(module, section);
         }
}

Once this is all in place, it will give you the ability to override any
tag you desire when the default behaviour of OSISHTMLHREF is not
sufficient for you.

Hope this is helpful.

	-Troy.