[sword-devel] Names

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Mon Feb 12 06:01:46 MST 2007

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:

> Eeli Kaikkonen <eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi> writes:
> Well...  OK.  You don't find a problem with the Heretics or Orthodoxy
> module names?  They're not very well differentiated in 1 word, and
> Chesterton is surely not the only one to have written on those
> subjects.  What about Institutes?

It wasn't my purpose to state that one name was bad and others good. I
just thought that it's good to pre-think the names and naming
conventions.

User interfaces seem to use the short module names. Therefore they
should be unambiguous, or else the user has to go through all similar
looking names to find the right one before (s)he has learned the names
by heart.

Of course Bible module names are often strange for first-time users, but
on the other hand translations usually have generally accepted short
names like KJV and NIV, unlike many systematic theologies ("Institutes"
by Calvin is in my opinion an exeption).

There is no easy solution and yours may be as good as any.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland