[sword-devel] SwordSharp version 0.1.1

Ben Morgan benpmorgan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 16:20:22 MST 2007

Hi.

This looks like a good start to a piece of Bible software.

However, there are a few things I would like to suggest, from what I see:

   1. Footnotes don't work. The popup window says UNKNOWN KEY.
   2. The hoverwindow take the focus off the application. This means if,
   with all popup options on, you move your mouse around quickly, the title bar
   keeps on changing colour. Also, if text is selected, it looks like it
   becomes unselected when you move your mouse over the link, to reappear when
   the hoverwindow closes. I would also suggest a delay in popup time eg 250
   milliseconds after they have moved their mouse over a link, the window pops
   up. Also, when text is being selected, I would suggest not to let popups
   appear.
   3. The Strongs numbers and notes don't shrink at the same rate as
   other. If you shrink the text down to the minimum size, the text is very
   small - entirely illegible - but you an still read the text of the links
   4. It would be nice to be able to copy and paste in a different
   application.
   5. It would be nice also to be able to specify a path to SWORD modules
   - though I understand that if you do this, you are not guaranteed to have
   all the modules. When I put in the directory a sword.conf pointing to
   a different SWORD directory, some of the modules didn't work as expected -
   ESV displayed cross references, and the KJV I have (KJV2003, I think) didn't
   work properly - especially with the morphology (more undefined keys).
   6. It would also be nice to have a textbox to type references in - you
   can parse these with a VerseKey.
   7. A few things don't do anything eg Home, File, More options, help.

Overall, though, I like the user interface, and it looks good. It might be a
good idea to distribute a binary version without any modules.

God Bless,
Ben
Sorrow is better than laughter,
for by sadness of face the heart is made glad.
Ecclesiastes 7:3 (ESV)