[sword-devel] French Darby Bible translation

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Mon Dec 31 21:31:43 MST 2007

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008, Sebastien Koechlin wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 12:18:40PM -0800, Chris Little wrote:
> > This translation is copyrighted, so we cannot use it.
>
> I don't understand. copyright doesn't means it can not be distributed. You
> can only accept public-domain texts ? I worked at "La bonne semence" (the
> good seed) a few years ago, ownership of the copyright, and the goal is to
> spread the Bible and share the gospel. This text is "Libre de droit" it
> means it can be shared without restriction or fee.
>
> What do you need ? A mail saying this from us ?

We have to have permission to distribute the text legally. If the text
is not in public domain we have to have an unambiguous
licence/permission from the copyright holder. It can be a general
permission given to all redistributors or one given specifically to us.
If you are the copyright owner of some text it's of course enough if you
say that we are allowed to distribute it. We just have to know reliably
how owns the copyright and what permissions the owner has given.

Maybe this is just a misunderstanding, but to me it's still a
bit difficult to say from your text who is a copyright owner of what,
and what the licence exactly says.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland