[sword-devel] daemon wanted, willing to pay reasonable fee

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Mon Dec 31 05:42:30 MST 2007

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007, Chris Little wrote:
> This is a red herring. On the one hand, copyright violation is still
> illegal, regardless of how difficult or easy it is to perform.

Yes, but that have not stopped many websites or applications using texts
which they do not have permission for. This is of course a different
subject and offtopic here but may still be relevant because the
practical easyness of copying a text may lead to this kind of situation.
Red herring or not, some potential publishers may still consider this as
a real threat.

> On the other hand, there's nothing more or less secure about data in
> Sword's format than in others. Most Bible programs either explicitly
> allow data export, use some sort of interprocess communication (like a
> daemon), or have data formats so obvious that they might as well be open
> (if they aren't). And to my knowledge, they all allow some level of copy
> & paste.
>
> No publisher has ever voiced any kind of concern on this basis.

OK, that is good to know. I just hope that they share your point of
view, not mine. For many (business?) people Open Source is a weird,
unsecure, low-quality thing. How do we know that those unanswered
permission requests are not caused by such prejudices?

(You don't have to answer, I'm happy if someone already has thought this
out. I also have to say that I know too little about the technical
aspects of Bible software in general to say anything sure.)

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland