[sword-devel] SwordReader - text handling - was 'Options support added'

Barry Drake bdrake at crosswire.org
Tue Dec 25 15:41:32 MST 2007

Hi David ..........

David Trotz wrote:
> The more I use SwordReader, and the more I learn about the poor HTML
> support in WindowsCE the more I want to write my own text viewer widget.
I used PalmBible+ a lot.  I was always impressed with the way it handled
the text.  But at the moment, I'm not unimpressed by what we have.  The
biggest problem presently seems to be directly connected with heavily
tagged Sword modules.  I have not yet repeated the 'out of memory'
problem exactly as I saw it before.  It may have been that I did a
particular sequence of operations that had memory leaks before trying to
re-start SwordReader.  However, this one IS repeatable.  Use NET bible
at Rev 22:1, and do shutdown.  On attempting to re-start, it fails
.....  every time.  This chapter has at least one especially long
footnote embedded.  I haven't looked at the mechanics of this, but I
don't think that we can ever make SwordReader work really nicely with
the most heavily tagged Sword modules.

For this reason, I'm really hoping we can move at a radical level
alongside Lynn Allan to offer modules in a format that we can handle
slickly!

On another front, if or when you look at the module installer I've made,
I'm sure you will be most underwhelmed byt the opening gui screen.  I
don't do 'pretty', and I notice that all of your stuff is build with an
eye for appearance.  Just to say, if you want to change it completely, I
won't in the least be offended.  My work has all the aesthetic appeal of
a below average 1960's architect!  His motto was something like
'Functionality is everything.  Appearance needs to reflect
functionality, and beauty is an unnecessary overhead!'.  As I'm glad
that we are now in the process of demolishing all those obscene 1960's
buildings, I'll be equally happy for you to 'demolish' my *very
practical* opening form!

God bless,
Barry

--