[sword-devel] KDE article including SIL, ICU...

Doug Rintoul doug_rintoul at sil.org
Mon Aug 6 19:51:03 MST 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-08 at 22:16 +0100, peter wrote:
> SIL Graphite is Wycliffe. Wycliffe produces an enormous amount of software.

Just to elaborate ... SIL Graphite *is* produced by SIL Intl and was our
very first open source project. It is a complex text rendering engine.
We produced it because many of the languages we work with have complex
text handling requirements currently not met by existing technologies.
Graphite can handle things like correctly stacking and positioning
diacritics, and context shape changes.  We have produced a version of
OpenOffice and Firefox which uses graphite. As you can see from the link
we are currently working with the HarfBuzz people to support graphite in
HarfBuzz(the successor to FreeType). When that happens, both gnome and
qt(kde) apps should have support for Graphite technology.

Doug Rintoul,
SIL/Wycliffe.