[sword-devel] Sword OSIS quotation mark handling question

Kahunapule Michael Johnson kahunapule at mpj.cx
Mon Apr 30 22:05:06 MST 2007

So... it sounds like I could simply convert USFM to OSIS with the
obvious conversions (like \p ... -> <p>...</p>) plus
\qt -> <seg type="otPassage" sID="someid"/>
\qt* -> <seg type="otPassage" eID="someid"/>
\wj -> <q who="Jesus" marker="" sID="someid2"/>
\wj* -> <q who="Jesus" marker="" eID="someid2"/>
<< -> <q marker="“" sID="x"/> (unless at the beginning of a paragraph
with an unended quotation in progress, then <milestone type="cQuote"
marker="“"/>
>> -> <q marker="”" eID="x"/>
< -> <q marker="‘" sID="y"/> (unless at the beginning of a paragraph
with an unended quotation in progress, then <milestone type="cQuote"
marker="‘"/>
> -> <q marker="’" eID="y"/>
I think at this point, my best option to convert quotation punctuation
found in the text (not as << type markup) is to just leave it in the
text and not try to disambiguate apostrophes. It should display properly
anyway. Since the q elements generated from WoC (\wj) markup will never
span verses in this implementation, but the actual quote often does, it
is probably better to not combine the two resulting q elements at the
beginning and end of the quotation into one q element, because then the
start/end points wouldn't line up properly for one or the other of the
meanings of the element (quotation start/end marking vs. text coloration).

Does that make sense?

Chris Little wrote:
>>> There's always <hi type="small-caps">. :) (Um... not that I would ever
>>> recommend such heresy as taking semantic markup from USFM and turning it
>>> into presentation in OSIS.

Of course not. ;-)