[sword-devel] OSIS markup

Kahunapule Michael Johnson kahunapule at mpj.cx
Mon Apr 30 14:39:43 MST 2007

Chris Little wrote:
> I know XML allows for empty attribute values, but I'm not sure whether
> they are formally equivalent to no attribute at all.

No, actually there is nothing in XML that specifies such an equivalence.
It is the semantics of the particular application that determine that.
In the case of a marker attribute on a q element, there is definitely a
difference between marker="" and no marker attribute at all. The former
says "You must use this markup, which is nothing, instead of generating
any other markup." The latter says "Use your style sheet information to
generate what is appropriate to open or close this quote."

Michael