[sword-devel] No, not new! Re: a MacSword review

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Mon Apr 23 09:52:34 MST 2007

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007, DJ Ortley wrote:

> So, what are people's opinions on:
> -wxWidgets?
> -FLTK?
> -others?

wxWidgets is a wrapper for different native toolkits. It's kind of a
lowest common denominator. Qt includes very good i18n support, including
a graphical frontend for translators for every platform. It also
includes a graphical ui designer. It includes a help system. Cmake build
system supports Qt "natively" (it's used in KDE4 development after all).
Qt is professional. Qt is native c++ and very well designed to be
natively object oriented unlike some competitors (I don't want to hurt
gtk fans, but...)

There are good alternatives, but honestly, I can't see even one area
where they could beat Qt in this case. You can get an overview of what
Qt offers from http://doc.trolltech.com/4.2/index.html. Is there
anything which some competitor does better?

The text rendering widget is the most important piece for a Bible
applications. What do toolkits offer for that?

Remember to take me not too seriously, there are enough flamewars about
toolkits. If something works, then it works - good. If we really want to
choose a toolkit for "official" frontend, pros and cons must be weighed
carefully point by point. It's not happening in near future unless
someone volunteers to be the developer.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland