[sword-devel] Manuscript Bible Text Coverage

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Thu Sep 7 00:48:44 MST 2006

Would anyone be interested in helping enter data if we developed a
simple web interface to submit MSS authorities along with their date and
coverage of the Biblical texts (basically the data in the back of your
Nestle-Aland GNT)

e.g.

P1
III
Mat.1.1-9,12,14-20

P2
VI
John.12.12-15

The goal of the data initially would be to provide authority information
when a user does original language study.  For example, when a user
clicks on a NT word, we usually show them a popup with the original
Greek and a definition.  We would extend this to show the earliest 5 MSS
authorities with their dates, which cover the verse.

I realize:

a) oldest MSS, not necessarily the best.
b) coverage wouldn't guarantee the actual word clicked was in the MSS
c) there is alot more MSS data we could capture.

We have to start somewhere, and I think we'll get the most traction with
the described initial behavior.

I personally believe this feature will go far to debunk the common
fallacy non-Christian have that NT authority is far removed from the
events they cover.

Thoughts?

	-Troy.