[sword-devel] HTML Designers / Papyri Database

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 6 02:22:38 MST 2006

Looks good under Mac's Safari, but needs help for a crippled, one
button mouse!

Some comments and thoughts, realizing that much of what I mention
might be due to the developmental nature of the prototype:
When it first comes up the image is in blue. Clicking on "Edit"
removed the blue. And it never came back.

There are no zoom controls available with a 1-button mouse.
	There should be another way to do it.
	Also, should be present as an "assistive" technology for those that
don't use a mouse for input.

The mouse would do well to change as the mouse moves over points of
interest and be an appropriate pointer. For example,
	[Pan] [Edit] always show the text insertion cursor. As these are
button placeholders, it will probably change naturally.
	When the mouse is over a box it could become a location sensitive
grow or move cursor.

I'm not sure how the "box" is supposed to be used.
	Is it to surround each word in turn or each line or each letter?
		You might change "Button" wording to indicate the operation,
"Previous Word", "Next Word".
	Is the ordering of the boxes important?
	If it is each line, it would be good to add "Next Line"
	When the image is zoomed such that the right edge of the current box
is near or past the edge, adding a box "after" positions the box in
such a way that it is not obvious what happened.
	Also, the canvas seems to be infinitely bigger than the image.
		It might be nice to ensure that part of the image is always on the
canvas.
		It might be nice to border the image on the canvas.
		It might be nice to constrain the box to the image.

My guess is that the box is to surround each word. If so, I would
find it easier to box each line and then draw a line between each
word. Then adding a box would be a "Line Tool" and splitting a box
with a line would be a "Word Tool" I don't know if there would be a
need for a "Vertical Line Tool" and a "Horizontal Line Tool" but if
so there might be a Text orientation choice.

If it is to be a line of letters, then I would want a "Line Tool",
"Word Tool" and a "Letter Tool"
There should be some assistive way to create a box without the mouse.
(I'd rather use a keyboard exclusively if I could)
I think it might be neat that as letters are typed for a "Word" that
the "Word" box is automatically subdivided into equally sized
regions, which can later be adjusted.
It would be cool that when a box is not active that the typed text is
visible in the box, perhaps with text autosized to the dimensions of
the box but tunable by the user, giving an easy way to compare.

Anyway, enough rambling.

-- DM