[sword-devel] Links in OSIS GenBooks

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 14 20:38:13 MST 2006

I  have created a listing of the references in the Sword modules,
except GenBook. These are from GBF, ThML and OSIS. My purpose in
creating the list is to create a full test case to use in fixing a
bug in JSword.

You can get it here: www.crosswire.org/~dmsmith/passages.zip (3M)

See below for a response.

On Nov 14, 2006, at 9:50 PM, Daniel Hilton wrote:

> DM Smith wrote:
>
> It works for the most part in Bibles because they are mostly used
> for cross references and it works in commentaries because they are
> mostly referring to bibles.
>
> The difficulty is more a question of how to move forward.
>
> I'll agree with you that it works *mostly*, and that the difficutly
> moving forward is to make it work *always.*
>
> While an original OSIS document may refer to a particular version
> of the Bible, I think that Sword will continue to allow the user to
> pick the Bible they want to use. For example, a commentary may be
> based on the RSV, which is not available as a Sword module, but the
> user, being German, may want to read the verses in German from
> their favorite German Sword module.
>
> I also agree with you here, that in most cases bible references
> should be linked to the user's preferred bible module.  My specific
> concern is for the rare instances of non-biblical modules
> referencing each other, or bibles referencing non-biblical modules.
>
> BTW, DM also wrote in a previous message "If I am not mistaken,
> Sword currently assumes that all osisRefs are to a
> bible of the user's choice."
> I'm pretty new to Sword, and I'm having a difficult time finding
> the line-of-demarcation between Sword and the various frontends.
> In analyzing BibleTime's source code, it seemed that BibleTime was
> handling almost everything to do with cross-references, and that
> BibleTime was making assumptions... but I can't see where or how
> Sword could make an assumption about an osisRef.

I confuse the line too.

Ultimately the SWORD Engine should have *all* the non-GUI behavior
that is common to all applications. The philosophy is that when a
GnomeSword, SWORD Project for Windows, MacSword, BibleTime, ....
programmer puts such code into the SWORD api it can used consistently
by all. But that's the ideal.

My presupposition is that a user will activate a reference (click,
hover, ..., show) a reference, whether GBF, ThML or OSIS, the
application will present that to the SWORD engine to obtain the text
for that reference.

The application will tell the SWORD engine which is the current book
to get references from. I think all the applications allow the user
to set which Bible that is. Some allow the user to set more than one
for parallel viewing.

So there is a bit of collaboration going on.

In JSword (a loose Java port of Sword) it would be a call:
	String data = book.getRawData(key);
If the key is not in the book then a KeyNotFoundException is thrown.