[sword-devel] French translations

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 10 10:43:53 MST 2006

See below:

On Nov 10, 2006, at 9:28 AM, Sebastien Koechlin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I suscribed to this list a couple of weeks ago, and the recent
> discution
> about Dutch bible translation wake me up.
>
> On http://www.crosswire.org/sword/modules/ModDisp.jsp?
> modType=Bibles there
> is only ONE french translation.
> 	French Louis Segond (1910)
>
> but according to french wikipedia, we have 4 free translations:
> 	http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traductions_de_la_Bible_en_fran%C3%A7ais
>
> - Louis Segond
> - Darby
> - Osterwald
> - Martin
>
> What can I do to make them available on crosswire and on sword based
> software ?

When someone has a file that can be converted into a module and
either doesn't need permission for CrossWire to distribute (as is the
case for Public Domain material) or has obtained permission for
CrossWire to distribute it, then post here that they would like
further help.

Once the module is created, and we can legally post it we will put
into our beta module area for testing. Later, when no problems are
found, it will be put in the public area.

> I have another questions: Is it possible to add a New Testament ?
> Does the
> "Sword format" handle this ?

A Sword module can consist of any part of a Bible, except the
Apocrypha. The Apocrypha will be supported later.

> Where can I found documentation about format handled by sword ?

Sword can handle Bibles encoded in one of 4 formats:
OSIS - www.bibletechnologies.org
ThML - http://www.ccel.org/ThML
GBF - http://ebible.org/bible/gbf.htm
Plain Text - Typically verse per line.

These are in preference order. That is, if possible, use OSIS.

Once the Bible is in this format, there are converters for each of
these inputs that can create a Sword Module.