[sword-devel] modules to relational database (Ruby support)

Bill Burton bburton at mail.com
Wed Nov 8 15:16:31 MST 2006

Hello Nathan,

On 11/8/06, lumin8 <lumi.n8 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Bill,
>
> Yes exactly.  Sounds like you are doing some great work with this.
> I'm trying to figure out how I can help - at the least I could package
> it as a rails plugin or gem making it easy for any ruby on rails
> developer to get started with it.

I was thinking of eventually creating a GEM so it could be easily installed
and used in any Ruby application.

However, I think a Rails plug-in would be a good idea to provide any extra
support that makes sense specific to a Rails application.  At the very
least, providing a default controller implementation and/or helper methods
that could be used in other controllers would be worthwhile.  The
ActionService web service client support might be a good pattern to start
with.

Also, right now, there's a limitation with the Sword C flatapi API in that
there's limited metadata available for Bible modules.  What I mean is you:
* Can't get a list of all the books in a Bible.
* Given a book name, can't get the number of chapters in the book.
* Given a book name and chapter, can't get the number of verses in that
chapter.

If this information is available in the C++ classes, then it would be
worthwhile exposing in the C flatapi.

So in the meantime, an application using the C flatapi has to provide it's
own support to maintain this metadata.  As versifications are different in
some translations, you can't necessarily use the same information for all
translations.

In regards to creating a unique key to represent a Bible verse, it may be
helpful to create a utility class like VerseKey that can take any verse
reference with a variety of abbreviations and return it in OSIS notation.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

I'll try to clean up the module and send it to you so you can start
experimenting with it.

In His Service,
-Bill

-=nathan