[sword-devel] modules to relational database

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 7 19:56:40 MST 2006

Nathan,

My 2 cents on the entire thread.
There are several fundamental parts of a database application:

1) Indexed lookup: Given a key, return some data. Nothing will beat
the simplicity of Sword's api.

2) Metadata and text search: Given a search criteria, find all data
that satisfies the query. Given that the vocabulary of the data is
fairly well defined, the optimized search engines of Sword cannot be
beat. And the API is very simple.

3) Preparing the result set for viewing. This may require a specific
target such as rtf or html and may be filtered to show or hide
metadata or extra data and may be stylized by user preference. The
Sword engine provides all of this with a simple API.

Dozens of engineers have contributed to Sword over the years. And
likely will continue to do so. Including new ones like yourself. What
this means if you use Sword is that with every release you get the
improvements for free. It frees you to focus on user oriented
features as you get to use a stable, but growing, capable API.

In Him,
	DM