[sword-devel] Hesychius

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Sat Nov 4 00:58:28 MST 2006

I spoke yesterday both to Prof Hansen and to Prof Ian Cunningham (who is a collaborator of Hansen)

http://www.csad.ox.ac.uk/CSAD/Hesychius/Hansen.html

Prof Hansen mentioned the TLG and Prof Cunningham confirmed this + said further there is no electronic version of Hansen's work available. I understand that Hansen's work is published in de Gruyters' Sammlung Griechischer and Lateinischer Altertuemer

http://www.degruyter.com/rs/174_AT_E_ED_ENU_h.cfm?rc=19992&id=SER-M1-WDG-HESYCH-B-19992&fg=AT

- a copy of which I found here to buy:

http://www.basis-buch.de/main-173503.html

WRT the TLG. I read the licence in detail and bluntly said, they have no leg to stand upon to deny us using the texts:

They already allowed us to do what we want to do on the base of the licence - even if they get now cold feet on direct questioning. That said, at least Schmidts edition is now public domain anyway and unless there are DMCA-restrictions everyone can copy it out of there anyway.  And outside of DMCA -alike legislation only the public domain-ness woudl appliy anyway.But IANAL etc.

Wrt Latte/Hansen- I am not sure how far Latte's work would constitute an original work in its own right - I presume it does - but again the TLG licence does allow text extraction for scholarly work which is non-commercial.

Peter

-------- Original-Nachricht --------