[sword-devel] Re: Offer help (portuguese module?)

Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete DUTRA leandro at dutra.fastmail.fm
Tue May 30 06:20:32 MST 2006

DM Smith escreveu:

> On May 5, 2006, at 5:11 AM, DArio Matos wrote:
>
>> different versions (I'm still collecting them as personally I have a
>> hard copy of only three of them: Almeida Revista e Corrigida, Almeida
>> Revista e Atualizada, Almeida Contemporânea).
[…]
>> Actually, I thik it would be easier to make a new version of an
>> Almeida-like portuguese translation of the Bible, released under GPL
>> or other public license - that is, to make an entirely new  "Almeida
>> Livre" - than to gain authorisation to distribute one copyrighted
>> Almeida Bible on the Net.
>
> Go for it! But don't use a copyright work as your basis. IIRC, pre 1906
> is the date to work from. Given that you have 3 of the hard copy texts,
> you are in a good position to do the work.

	Actually 1911 according to the US rules, I haven’t yet found out the
Brazilian situation but I think it is less harsh.  AFAICR, early 1940s
should be OK, but it is better to double-check.

	Anyway, of the three hardcopy texts Dário mentions, only Corrigida is
public domain.

> Anyone is welcomed to take any public domain Bible and create an eText
> from it. There may be issues with using an eText that someone else
> produced as they can license that effort as they like.

	I have a problem with that.  The Scriptures are far too important to
anyone to touch.  For example, the people who have been involved with
PorAA up to now have shown too little respect for text integrity.

> I think there are separate issues here.
> One is a technical encoding issue that the module is incorrectly encoded.
> Another is a textual quality issue. (missing/wrong text, ...)
> A third is that of ownership(copyright) and proper naming.
>
> The first one we can solve.

	It was solved already.  But is it worthwhile to produce a text
correctly encoded with misspellings and missing and garbled text?

> The second raises further copyright questions and if I remember, Chris
> stated that CrossWire would not accept such an effort.

	I couldn’t understand his reasoning at all.

	If the second issue raises issues, we should take PorAA out
immediately, because we can’t trace it back to anything else than
Revisada.  Chris said someone could, but he never said whom nor how.

> The third requires negotiation with and permission from the copyright owner.

	That is the course I am currently into.

Leandro G Faria Corcete DUTRA       xmpp:leandrod at jabber.org
+55 (11) 5685 2219             Yahoo!: ymsgr:sendIM?lgcdutra
+55 (11) 9406 7191     ICQ/AIM: aim:GoIM?screenname=61287803
            MSN: msnim:chat?contact=leandro at dutra.fastmail.fm