[sword-devel] NET markup of poetic line breaks has missing spaces?

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Tue May 16 14:53:47 MST 2006

On May 16, 2006, at 5:01 PM, L.Allan-pbio wrote:

> DM Smith wrote:
>> On May 15, 2006, at 2:58 PM, L.Allan-pbio wrote:
>>> The NET has <l /> for poetic line breaks but there isn't an
>>> allowance for a space if this isn't turned into a poetic line break
>>> (see Ps 23 for examples)
>
>> The <l>...</l> indicates whitespace. So this is appropriate.
>
> Well, that may be, but from the lines below, it seems to me that
> the NET is using <l /> for poetic line breaks (equivalent to GBF's
> <CL>). Is this something that should be reported to the NET beta team?

Yes.

> />
>
> He takes me to lush pastures,<l />he leads me to refreshing water.<l
> />
>
> He restores my strength.<l />He leads me down the right paths<l />for
> the sake of his reputation.<l />

<lb/> is the notion of a line break. <l> is the notion of a line.

This should be encoded as (new lines added for readability):
<title type="psalm" canonical="true">A psalm of David</title>
<lg>
<l>The <divineName>Lord</divineName> is my shepherd,</l>
<l>I lack nothing.</l>
<l>He takes me to lush pastures,</l>
<l>he leads me to refreshing water.</l>
<l>He restores my strength.</l>
<l>He leads me down the right paths</l>
<l>for the sake of his reputation.</l>
</lg>

Note: Style should not be marked up (e.g. <hi type="italic">) when
there is an element which indicates content. In this case there is a
notion of a psalm title and a divine name.