[sword-devel] ESV: Is handling of poetic line breaks and paragraph tags appropriate?

L.Allan-pbio paraclete at bibleinverse.org
Mon May 15 03:15:07 MST 2006

Note: This only applies to sword.exe and not to "The Bible Tool"
because "The Bible Tool" doesn't seem to have an option to group
verses into paragraphs. Unless I missed something in preferences,
swordweb doesn't have the equivalent of unchecking the option of
BibleCS's Preferences + Display + "Start Each Verse On New Line"

When a verse has "poetic line breaks", it seems like the verse ought
to end with a paragraph break tag.

For example, in Gen 1:13-20, there is "prose" and "poetry" as God
curses the serpent, then Eve, and then Adam. With "Start Each Verse On
New Line" unchecked, it now appears like the following (but may not
appear as intended because of word-wrap):

13 Then the Lord God said to the woman, What is this that you have
done? The woman said, The serpent deceived me, and I ate.14 The Lord
God said to the serpent,
Because you have done this,
cursed are you above all livestock
and above all beasts of the field;
on your belly you shall go,
and dust you shall eat
all the days of your life.15 I will put enmity between you and the
woman,
and between your offspring and her offspring;
he shall bruise your head,
and you shall bruise his heel.
16 To the woman he said,
I will surely multiply your pain in childbearing;
in pain you shall bring forth children.
Your desire shall be for your husband,
and he shall rule over you.17 And to Adam he said,
Because you have listened to the voice of your wife
and have eaten of the tree
of which I commanded you,
You shall not eat of it,
cursed is the ground because of you;
in pain you shall eat of it all the days of your life;18 thorns and
thistles it shall bring forth for you;
and you shall eat the plants of the field.19 By the sweat of your face
you shall eat bread,
till you return to the ground,
for out of it you were taken;
for you are dust,
and to dust you shall return.20 The man called his wifes name Eve,
because she was the mother of all living.

I would think there should be a paragraph tags at the end of verses
14, 16, and 19 (maybe after 17 and 18?). It would come out as follows: