[sword-devel] Re: Kjv2006 markup

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sat May 13 15:12:25 MST 2006

On May 13, 2006, at 8:39 AM, L.Allan-pbio wrote:

> * paragraph grouping
> <lg> ... </lg>
>
>> DM Smith wrote:
>> The paragraph markers are represented with <milestone type=\"x-p\"
>> marker=\"¶\"/>
>
> Several comments:
>
> * After doing mod2vpl on Kjv2006, a hex viewer showed these to have
> an extra character: an 0xC2 before the ¶

Try a unicode viewer.

> * Which will the final Kjv2006 have? <lg> or <milestone type=\"x-p
> \" marker=\"¶\"/>

The latter. <lg> is a line group, and is not indicative of a paragraph.
The 1769 KJV had each verse starting on a new line. In the OT,
Gospels and Acts, some verses began with a paragraph marker. This
milestone is meant to carry that information.

> * Can the paragraph tag be at the end of the previous verse, rather
> than the beginning of the verse? This is how the GBF <CM> tag and
> the NET's "double milestone" is done (see below). LcdBible geneates
> the RTF superscript verse number at the start of the verse, so Ps
> 23 is rendered as:
>
> 1
> The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.2 He maketh me to lie
> down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. 3 He
> restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for
> his name's sake.4 Yea,
>
> and Gen 1 is rendered:
> 1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.2 And the
> earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of
> the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.3
> And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.4 And God saw
> the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the
> darkness. 5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he
> called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day. 6
> And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters,
> and let it divide the waters from the waters. 7 And God made the
> firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament
> from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.8 And
> God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning
> were the second day. 9
> And God said,

This element is meant to be nothing more than a paragraph character.
It can be taken as the beginning of a paragraph if you like. But make
sure you output the break before the verse number.

> I can fuss with the code to rectify this, but wanted to check if
> the markup can be done similarly to GBF <CM>. Also, the NET Bible
> seems to use <milestone type="line" /><milestone type="line" /> (or
> <milestone type="line" /> <milestone type="line" />) at the end of
> the verse that completes a paragraph, rather than the start of the
> verse that starts a paragraph. The ESV doesn't seem to have
> paragraph markup.

In OSIS, <p> probably would typically surround <verse> elements

  osis2mod cannot handle this. There is a bug report on this problem.

The paragraph begin would be "preverse" so a SWORD module cannot
handle it either, without changes.

Until OSIS 2.1 <lb/> was not allowed anywhere except within <lg>. Now
it is allowed anywhere. So using <milestone type="line"/> was a "work
around".

Since blank lines are a common visual clue for paragraphs, it is not
surprising that two line breaks are representative of a paragraph
end. However, it is not very accurate and it does not allow for
different styles of paragraphs (e.g. indented).

In my opinion, SWORD needs a more robust handling of OSIS paragraphs.

It appears that <CM> is used as a break between paragraphs. If so, it
makes sense to render it as a paragraph end. If so, this is different
than <p>...</p>, which indicates both the start and the end.