[sword-devel] wxSword Client

Barry Drake b.drake at ntlworld.com
Wed May 3 11:44:41 MST 2006

Hi Greg ...........

Greg Hellings wrote:
> The executable integrates with a currently installed SWORD Project
> under either Linux or Windows with only the definition of the
> SWORD_PATH environment variable.  It would, though, be nice if
> post-sword1.5.7a would compile under Cygwin/MinGW on Windows.
I've tried the Windows binary you put up on Sourceforge and I think it's going to have REAL potential.  I wish I could promise to build a mingw binary  - I want to, but it may be a while ....  I need to get a new download of the library first and build that - is it meant to build with the current SVN?  When you said you wish 1.5.7a and beyond would compile - are you saying that this version of WXSword links with an earlier library?  I have compiled later SVN downloads under mingw, but had to alter the makefile to omit the ftp stuff (curl) as mingw doesn't have that easily available.  It compiled OK last time I tried (June 2005 - 1.5.8) ....  maybe I can link with the 1.5.8 library I already have ....

Troy ...  could you think about a conditional 'omit' in the library config files for the stuff mingw can't handle?  There is curl, and also I seem to remember something else - was it the ICU stuff - it's several months back and I forget.  If I get around to building the latest SVN, I'll make a few notes and post them.

I assume that you intend eventually to give support for footnotes etc. in due course?  (and all the other things that are available).  What I most like about it is the way that each window that opens is fully floating on the desktop so I can make the overall arrangement whatever suits the work I'm doing.  This is the kind of thing Troy had in mind when he wrote the Sword2 prototype.  Please feel encouraged!  I'll put in what time I have as soon as I'm able.  Thanks for all your hard work.

God bless,
Barry

-- From Barry Drake (The Revd) minister of the Netherfield United Reformed church, Nottingham see http://www.jesusinnetherfield.org.uk for our church homepages).

Replies - b.drake at ntlworld.com