[sword-devel] verse parsing

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 25 20:55:36 MST 2006

Troy,
My 2 cents.

I see this as a mapping of an external name (i.e. what the user know the
verse as) and an internal name (what the engine knows the verse as).
As you pointed out there are a whole host of issues with taking user
input and deciphering it into the internal name. Especially when you
allow pretty sophisticated ranges and have taught the user that we can
guess what they mean with great accuracy.

I think that there are two basic functions that the engine needs to provide:
    translation from the user input into a verse key
    translation from a verse key to a external representation that is
appropriate for the work.

Today with the KJV, we number each book from Gen to Rev, in the order
that it appears in the KJV.
Then we know how many chapters are in each book and how many verses are
in each book.
We also know the ordinal value for each verse or can compute it readily.

But today, we assume that the internal and external names for chapters
and verse are the same. In your example, they are not the same for
verses. Everything is fine until verse 31, but after that we have 31a,
32, 33, 33a, 33b, and 33c. Positionally these are 32, 33, 34, 35, 36,
and 37.
What is needed is a mapping function External <=> Internal, 31a <=> 32, ....

I think you have pointed out that all the UIs will need to change no
matter what. If that is the case, then perhaps you can increase the
number of methods in VerseKey.
Essentially you would add
String getVerseName()
String getChapterName()

so
int x = vk.Verse()
would give 37 for 33c. That is the offset from the beginning of the chapter.
char* s = vk.getVerseName()
would give 33c.

As to parsing ranges, I think you may need another algorithm. The
current one assumes a lot about KJV versification and its traditions,
such as using roman numerals as in II Sam 2:1 and using numbers for
chapters and verses.

Having fixed bugs in JSword's parsing of user input, I know how
difficult it is.
As the following is allowed
B[[.C].V][-([[B.]C.]V] | B.[C[.V]]])
where B, C and V stand for book, chapter and verse respectively. And -
represents the set of all allowable range indicators and . represents
the set of allowable part separators (and the separators between B & C
may be different than between C & V).
(I think this is at least close)
And as a shortcut "ff" is allowed, which means to the end of the parent
unit.

This becomes difficult with multipart book names and book names that
begin with numbers and where those numbers can be roman numerals or
digits. As these cause the code to have to do a look ahead or look
behind to determine whether it is the prefix or suffix of a book name.

If the code is going to be generally useful for a BCV kind of scheme,
where C and V may not be integers, then it will require a new algorithm.
So, when it is not KJV, it uses the newer one.

I would suggest that we add a V11N= key to the conf with the default of
KJV. This could be used to get the appropriate algorithm.

Hope this helps,
    DM

P.S. My solution from the other day skirted this issue.