[sword-devel] NET bible tester modules

Barry Drake b.drake at ntlworld.com
Fri Mar 24 11:19:52 MST 2006

Hi there ........

We expect to have release candidate 0.9.3 out very soon, and it seems
very probable that this version will be approved and will form release
version 1.0.  The following is what we expect to happen when we
release.  I look forward to any comments/suggestions.

1)  MACSword:  The needs of MACSword are a little different from the
other front ends.  MACSword displays the notes in line when these are
turned on, and not as a popup or separate window as in the other
frontends.  This makes use of the NET module difficult.  For this
reason, MAC users will be encouraged to install NETtext, which has
reference numbers only for all footnotes, and to install NETnotes (or
NETnotesfree) as a commentary to be used in conjunction with NETtext.
The zip files for these will be available from the ftp site, and the key
for NET will need to be edited manually into the conf file.

2) BibleTime:  This functions extremely well with NET only, and displays
in a very helpful way.  BibleTime users will be encouraged to take NET,
(or NETfree) as the only required module.  BibleTime uses install
manager, and we require a Bibletime user to write some simple
instructions for configuring it to use the bible.org ftp site and for
installing.  The key will be purchased and will be configured during the
install manager session.

3) GnomeSword:  Currently we have very little feedback about
GnomeSword.  I assume that the raw zip files will be used, and the key
edited manually into the confs.  GnomeSword users have the technical
knowledge to carry out installation as GnomeSword is currently not
available as binaries, and therefore they will have compiled and
installed everything manually so far.  Am I correct in this?  I have
never used GnomeSword myself.  We also need to know from GnomeSword
users what module or modules we should advise for installation.

4) Java BibleDesktop:  NET (and NETfree) works perfectly in this
frontend, and is displayed extremely well.  It can currently be
installed manually, and I am working with DM Smith in getting an http
feed configured to work properly with BibleDesktop's own install
manager.  Hopefully, NET will be able to be installed using the install
manager by the time we make release of version 1.0.  I will write
installation instructions for this when the work is complete.

5) BibleCS for Windows:  This displays NET well - but with some slight
shortcomings.  Some of the notes are too long for the maximum popup size
currently available.  These notes are truncated.  Also, whilst the Greek
in NT notes is properly handled if the font is set to Tahoma or some
other suitable Unicode font, the Hebrew is omitted completely.  Thus,
most of the notes display properly and are very user friendly, the rest
need help.  Our current thinking is that the user should install NET (or
NETfree) and also NETnotes, (or NETnotesfree) and use the notes
alongside the NET bible with footnotes when the notes are not handled
properly in NET.  For this reason, it is intended that the key will be
the same for both NET and NETnotes in the release version.  I know this
is a kludge, but I find it the best compromise  for the present version
of BibleCS.  BibleCS is now properly supported for installation using
install manager from the Bible.org ftp site, and I will re-write the
instructions that are on the forum so that these can be incorporated in
the download site.

In addition, we intend to add reference markup in version 1.1 which is
expected to be in the next major release after version 1.0.  As far as I
am aware, BibleCS will not be able to make use of this in the NET
version, but will handle it very nicely as popups in NETnotes.

BibleTime and BibleDesktop will almost certainly handle this feature
properly.  I think this will be a useful feature, but it currently needs
a lot of work as the notes in the database include references in several
very different formats.

God bless,
Barry

-- From Barry Drake (The Revd) minister of the Netherfield United Reformed church, Nottingham see http://www.jesusinnetherfield.org.uk for our church homepages).