[sword-devel] Swig Python bindings do not build

David Csercsics aarg at shaw.ca
Thu Mar 9 01:51:20 MST 2006

The swig Python bindings have a couple issues. I checked out the latest
svn and installed the libraries. Then I did the following:

cd sword-build/bindings/swig/package
./autogen.sh
./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
make pythonswig

This produces the following:

mkdir -p python
/usr/bin/swig -python -c++ -shadow -o python/Sword.cxx -I. ./sword.i
./sword.i:19: Error: Unable to find '../../include/defs.h'
make: *** [pythonswig] Error 1

Line 19 of  sword.i should read:

%include "../../../include/defs.h"

That is where the file is located. I made the change and this time make pythonswig completes successfully. So the next thing I did was:

make python_make

And i got this error:

mkdir -p python
echo "writing python/setup.py"
writing python/setup.py
cd python && /usr/bin/python setup.py build_ext -I/usr/include/sword -L/usr/lib -lsword
running build_ext
building '_Sword' extension
creating build
creating build/temp.linux-i686-2.4
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -O3 -march=i486 -mcpu=i686 -fPIC -DSWIG=1 -I/usr/include/sword -I/usr/include/python2.4 -c Sword.cxx -o build/temp.linux-i686-2.4/Sword.o
Sword.cxx: In function `PyObject* _wrap_TreeKey_getFullName(PyObject*,
   PyObject*)':
   Sword.cxx:12005: error: `getFullName' undeclared (first use this function)
   Sword.cxx:12005: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for
      each function it appears in.)
      make: *** [python_make] Error 1

Is there something I've left out here? What would be places to look for
a solution. I've not look at the source code at all so I'm not really
sure where the problem is exactly. My friendly search engine didn't turn
up any previous reports of this problem so I thought I'd send one here. Hopefully this was helpful.