[sword-devel] KJV2006 progress report

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Wed Mar 8 17:50:20 MST 2006

Troy,

The assumption you make, for the KJV and for the NASB, is that the
translators and typesetters simply had no clue what they wanted or
completely failed to express it. It's the assumption that they were
completely incompetent. But they weren't.

Typesetters have a variety of methods of expressing new paragraphs in
different environments including one or more of: pilcrows, indentation,
blank lines (or just slightly increased leading), dropped caps (of the
text or of, e.g., verse/chapter numbers), etc.

In both the KJV and its genetic descendant, the NASB, every single
chapter, without exception, begins a new paragraph. Even Rev 13.1. And
yes, the first paragraph of Rev 13.1 is half a verse long. This isn't
even a remotely novel way of handling paragraphing around the Rev 12-13
boundary. VERY few printed works actually represent the final paragraph
of Rev 12 as extending into Rev 13, and they do so by putting the Rev 13
verse numeral before the start of Rev 13.1b, not at the beginning of Rev
13. So, even there, it's generally safe to assume every chapter mark
indicates the start of a new chapter. (Note: This is not a blanket
statement that every Bible starts a new chapter with a new paragraph; I
only assert that that holds for the KJV and NASB.)

--Chris