[sword-devel] KJV2006 progress report

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Wed Mar 8 14:13:20 MST 2006

> I think making this change is kind of like capitalizing personal
> pronouns for God ;) It is not part of the original. The original KJV and
> current printed copies displays a ¶ symbol at these locations. It seems
> that it is a translation of a Hebrew scripture tradition. To wrap up the
> text with <p>...</p> differs from the original. The original KJV did not
> have paragraphs beyond these marks.

I think we agree, if I understand you correctly.  I might not, but
that's ok :)  Capitalizing personal pronouns for God is very much a
translation choice.  It may be merely out of respect or it may reflect
very hard original language evidence for the anticedent of the pronoun.
    In either case, our job is to preserve the author's (note my
NON-CAPITALIZATION of 'author') wishes, not what we feel is best
practice for translation.

All this to say if when you say above, "It is not part of the original,"
you mean it is not part of the original KJV document.  Then I
whole-heartedly agree with you.

I would hold to all these same points regarding <p>.  And I think you
would too, right?

	-Troy.

PS.  I'm sorry; I'm going on about 3 hours of sleep due to emergencies
at work.