[sword-devel] KJV markup

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 8 05:40:45 MST 2006

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> splitID was allowed in some previous version of OSIS before we added
> sID/eID, if I remember correctly-- if not still valid.  It was
> intended to say that these tags are all one segment/element of
> something, but not contiguous.

I have the 1.1, 1.1.1, 1.5, 2.0 and 2.1 schemas.
Was in the 1.1 and 1.1.1 versions. It was removed from 1.5 and has not
been re-introduced.

It was a global attribute.

> The splitID attributes in the KJV2003 text are direct artifacts of a
> [split] button on the tagging tool.  This is needed (and cool) in
> cases like: παρηκολουθηκοτι ακριβως
>
> This participle (παρηκολουθηκοτι) means:
> one having had understanding
>
> it is followed by the modifier ακριβως, which means
> diligent/complete
>
> Thus a basic translation is:
>
> one having had complete understanding

The example of splitting is in the manual by using osisIDs on a verse
tag, where a verse is split into two parts.
Perhaps osisID should be used here as well.
osisID="tr:1!b"... >understanding</w>
The workID should be the module from which the words came. It can be
defaulted with workPrefix so that it does not need to show up here:
osisID="1!b"... >understanding</w>
(I'd have to look at the regex to see if osisIDs can begin with a number.)

> You can see how this is way cooler than the historical strongs tag
> somewhere near the end of the english translation by browsing to:
>
> http://crosswire.org/study/parallelstudy.jsp?add=TR&add=KJV&key=lk.1.1
> In verse 3, click on the 3rd Greek word (παρηκολουθηκοτι).  Click
> again on the word to hide the definition box.  Notice how the exact
> English segments are highlighted for this Greek word.
>
> Please preserve these attributed if they are still valid osis.  If
> not, maybe we can ask what happened to this concept on the osis forum.

To preserve it, I have split it into type and subType. I can use some
other mechanism as well. These can be put back together in a lossless
fashion. I can also do this just prior to creating the module. So that
existing code can continue to work as is.