[sword-devel] OSIS:What is the future? Who is using it now?

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Tue Mar 7 01:57:03 MST 2006

To make a long story short, OSIS is the best format for everything that
Sword needs to do. It encodes Bibles richly and explicitly. It can
contain every other type of book we handle (though none of these require
the same level of richness in markup). And it's open and it's XML. And
if there are problems with it, we can make recommendations for the next
version to improve it.

GBF and ThML are incapable of the richness of markup that OSIS provides.
ThML isn't especially good for Bibles (for which it was not really
designed). GBF is a proprietary format and non-XML. XGBF still lacks
richness and openness. (U)SFM, at the time we chose to standardize on
OSIS, was a proprietary, not publicly documented, non-XML,
non-standardized format; when we asked for documentation and offered to
implement SFM in Sword, our offer was declined. USFX is proprietary and
not a standard.

Of the above, the ONLY format a corpus of texts that is at all useful to
Sword is ThML. (Before we planned to standardize on OSIS, we were more
or less in the process of standardizing on ThML.) ThML texts are also
available from CCEL in OSIS format, so we're safe in simply moving to OSIS.

The idea that standardization on OSIS will somehow slow development of
Sword is unfathomably and absurdly illogical. There are a lot of things
I would rather do than write a full new set of filters AGAIN for another
new markup format, plus 2 for each existing data format for conversion
purposes. Standardizing on a single format means providing a consistent
feature set with all texts, rather than one set for one format and a
lagging subset for another.

--Chris