[sword-devel] OSIS:What is the future? Who is using it now?

L.Allan-pbio paraclete at bibleinverse.org
Mon Mar 6 22:07:03 MST 2006

> Please, any of you that have the time, read the manual and provide
> revisions and comments. As they are actively working on OSIS 2.5, now is a
> good time.

Based on your reading, would the upgraded osis spec be usable to prepare a
module that could be used to generate a printable Sharing Bible tract, for
example? Back in late 2004, I tried to use osis 2.x to prepare such a tract.
>From then until now, I don't think the osis spec changed materially (not
including the upcoming spec).

The idea was to have a format from which transforms could be used to
generate webpages and matching .pdf's for printing duplexed bi-fold output.
The content was roughly 2/3rds Bible verses and 1/3 "prose". My impression
was that if it could be done, the markup of the osis itself wouldn't be all
that different from preparing a General Book ... lots of verses, but not any
versification structure.
http://www.bibleinverse.org/sharingbibles/sb12/Sb2FrontPage.html  (draft)

At that time, it seemed osis wasn't appropriate because that functionality
wasn't available yet, at least based on the feedback I got from the osis
list. Has that changed?

The more general question would be ... is the upgraded spec appropriate for
things like commentaries and "General Books" such as SAOA, SME, and/or "The
Practice the Presence of God"? Does it have capabilites for "page markup" to
guide a transform for printing?

Or am I uninformed and is osis not intended for that kind of module? Was the
"missing pieces" more a matter of transforms? Can GBF do a General Book? Can
osis be used to convert much of the content of CCEL which uses (mostly?)
ThmL?

If not, is such capability envisioned for osis 2.5 or subsequent versions?