[sword-devel] [SPAM] [SPAM] HTML Designers / Papyri Database

Matt Reimer mattjreimer at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 11:20:18 MST 2006

On 7/26/06, Troy A. Griffitts <scribe at crosswire.org> wrote:
> If you are an HTML designer, there is a huge need for YOU! :)
>
> We're trying to mockup some idea pages and really have no user interface
> skills.
>
> The idea we're trying to develop is a Papyri/Inscription registry database.
>
> It's a place where ancient scans can be uploaded, transcribed at 2
> levels, translated, and demographic data associated.
>
> The sad start of a mockup is available at:
>
> http://crosswire.org/~scribe/papyriedit/

Troy,

Awesome! I've been thinking about this exact idea the last few days
myself as I've been reading about textual criticism. Maybe we could
partner with others doing related work like Dan Wallace's csntm.org,
who should be adding a bunch more imagery as time goes on.

One idea I have is to make the site sort of like wikipedia, where
people could log in and offer their own translations, verifications,
etc. that could be reviewed for accuracy. There are probably quite a
few people who could contribute if there was such a tool.

A Google Maps/Earth tie-in would be a handy little feature.

Also, the web frontend will be helpful for viewing data and generating
metadata for the manuscripts, but some backend tools to look for
patterns in all the manuscripts would be very useful.

If only we could get some funding to dedicate some serious time to this!

Matt