[sword-devel] Problem with '&' in NET bible

Barry Drake b.drake at ntlworld.com
Wed Jul 19 04:21:26 MST 2006

Hi there ........

I've just been taking a close look at the '&' problem that I mentioned
on this list.  Moses Truong (who wrote the script that makes the NET
modules) corrected a problem with the ampersand.  This only appears when
Greek lexicon 'L&N' references are given.  However, this correction has
given rise to another problem which I think may be Sword related.

In the NET bible module, in which the notes are displayed as footnotes,
there is no problem.  In the NETnotes module, where the notes come as a
commentary, the note truncates immediately before the '&'.

The raw text for the note at Revelation 22:3 appears in the raw module
33.474).'

This displays as: '9 tn  Or "be anything accursed" (L'  in the NETnotes
commentary, but displays correctly as '9 tn  Or "be anything accursed"
(L&N 33.474).' in the NET bible footnotes.  As this occurs with all of
the frontends as far as I know, I take it something happens when an '&'
is encountered in one of the filters in the library - presumably the
footnotes are not filtered in the same way?.  Is there something we need
to do to get the '&' and the text that follows it to appear? I suppose
if all else fails, we could replace the ampersand with 'and', but L and
N is a bit naff, don't you think?

God bless,

Barry

-- From Barry Drake (The Revd) minister of the Netherfield United Reformed church, Nottingham see http://www.jesusinnetherfield.org.uk for our church homepages).