[sword-devel] NET bible

Barry Drake b.drake at ntlworld.com
Mon Jul 3 03:23:43 MST 2006

Hi Troy ...........

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> 	sword should be able to parse them all.  Our verse parser handles
> pretty crazy stuff.  You can use tests/parsekey or utilities/vs2osisref
Thanks for that.  I'll take a look at them next week.  I'm off to
Ireland for a few days tomorrow.  There are one or two references that
none of understand, so I don't think we're going to try to parse them. I
doubt anybody could code to pick those up.  I've attached part of a
message I sent to Tim Coles a while back that shows one of them.  In any
case, we're going ahead with the present release with the
cross-references not tagged, and will make a new version after release
as we're all keen to get the first release out of the door.

Part of message to Tim:
Tim Coles wrote:
> I have had some success in identifying the many and varied reference
> formats. However there are always going to be some real odd ones. The
> real problematic ones are contextual ones, for example:
> "see Isa 61:2, or the idiom in 2:4" in Gen1 note 22.
Thanks for all your hard work in this.  I suspect that the answer will
be a compromise - but a list of dodgy references that need to be
modified by hand might be a useful tool.  I imagine that the academics
who produced the notes would not have thoughts towards making links from
them.  Their brief was simply to translate and annotate, but a reference
such as the example you give above is not even clear to the human reader
(or is it just me?), and is obviously unuseable electronically without
modification.
> Whilst picking out the references is easy but as far as a program is
> concerned is that 2:4 in Isaiah or Genesis.
That's what I mean - is it 2:4 in Isaiah or Genesis?  Anything as
ambiguous as that ought to be corrected out in the next revision.  I'm
not sure that the team will want to go as far as your suggestion of
making the entire database in OSIS markup - I think Hampton would be the
one to come into that discussion - but I do think the translation team
needs to be a little bit tighter in referencing.  That one you've
pointed out is a particularly sloppy example.  Thanks for that.  And
thanks again for all your hard work.

God bless,
Barry

-- From Barry Drake (The Revd) minister of the Netherfield United Reformed church, Nottingham see http://www.jesusinnetherfield.org.uk for our church homepages).