[sword-devel] SWORDWEB Footnote / Cross-ref support

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 30 06:03:25 MST 2006

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> Hey guys,
>     Thank you for the feedback.  I will say once again for the
> newcomers, in case they haven't realized it yet: I am terrible at
> making things look pretty.  Anything that looks good on swordweb is
> due to other people writing nice CSS and HTML, etc.  If anyone has
> graphic design talent and would like to change some of the CSS styles
> to replace the X and N with nice neo-conservative abstract art icons
> we could show instead, I would love for people to use their gifts!
>
>     Concerning hitting the server.  DM, you made a comment about jumpy
> redraws?  Please be specific about when this happens.  It should do no
> such thing.  I'd like to fix whatever the problem is.
For today's testing, I used Firefox 1.5, and I cleared the cache and
cookies related to crosswire.org.
I then restarted the browser to start with a clean slate as far as
session cookies go.

Today, I used Sloppy, a slow proxy, from http://www.dallaway.com/sloppy
to simulate a 28.8 connection. (Your point about broadband is well
taken. I stumbled across this program earlier last week.) The purpose
was to slow things down enough to see the redraws.

I then went to the page http://crosswire.org/study/passagestudy.jsp and
James 1 was displayed with James 1.19 highlighted. Once shown, I changed
the size of the font, using Ctrl-scrollwheel, to show all the text, but
not all the page.

I then clicked on "Show Notes" and the page drew one verse at a time
until all verses were drawn. At the point when the last verse was drawn,
I could see all the verses. Then the page scrolled to the bottom.

I guessed it was because it was trying to show the selected verse. So I
selected verse 1 and it did not scroll to the bottom. Selecting a much
later verse caused a scroll to the bottom.

Anymore these days, I don't expect the page to scroll on me when I click
on the page.

These jumps were due to the page being requested again. And using GET
and not POST. I think that using post may cause a faster redraw. To do
this, create a form with hidden elements for all the fields that can be
used for the request. For those that have a value, fill it in. For those
that don't leave them blank. Then at a place which calls the page
directly, replace it with an onclick to a function that will fill in the
argument and then submit the form.

In the case of clicking on the number in front of a verse to select the
verse, it appears unnecessary to go back out to the server at all times.
Again, if the direct page request were replaced by an onclick call to a
function, that function could evaluate the state of the page and
determine whether the fetch was needed, as in the case of strongs being
on, or not needed as in the case of notes. In the case where it is not
needed, it could just change the value of the class attribute. This
would eliminate a return to the server.

Basically, I am suggesting that all direct requests be changed to
onclick calls to javascript. The javascript then decides whether to do a
page fetch, to use AJAX or to do the work directly.

>     Thank you for the suggestion about preloading data.  Our first
> impl of these pages work this way.  We've changed to the current impl
> because not everyone has high speed access and some people pay by
> bandwidth usage.  Those pages have been way too hot, since adding word
> click strongs/morph lookups, to grab all the data in one hit to the
> server.
The suggestion I am making is not to grab everything in one hit. But
some of it. I am suggesting that the notes and x-refs that show in the
verses are gotten in advance. But the content referenced by them are
gotten on demand. I'm assuming that you are using some variant of AJAX
on the page. I think it could be more widely used.

If I time the refresh of the page with notes and x-refs on versus both
off, while simulating a 28.8 modem, I don't see an appreciable change in
load time.

Have you considered or are you using Apache's mod_gzip to deliver
content? Modern browsers all have the capability to do uncompression on
the fly.