[sword-devel] virtual modules

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 15:02:11 MST 2006

I think that the plan is a good one.  We are dealing with a large amount of
redundant code in the case of parallel displays.  However, what if two
different front-ends want to display the parallel text in different ways?
BibleCS does an internlinear display, but presents that verse-by-verse.
What if one person wants to do them in parallel columns (doesn't MacSword do
that?) and another wants to do interlinear, but by lines rather than verse?
I think that would be the strongest argument against pushing the
functionality back into the API.

Of course, it might be possible to push some of the parallel function back
into the API while still allowing that freedom for the front-ends to
maintain freedom of how they display the parallel passages.  But all the
ways of doing that that I can think of amount to only a minimal saving of
code for the front-ends.

My $.02.

--Greg