[sword-devel] Is "original input source" for modules available?

L.Allan-pbio paraclete at bibleinverse.org
Thu Feb 16 11:10:48 MST 2006

From: "L.Allan-pbio" <paraclete at bibleinverse.org>
To: <sword-devel at crosswire.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2006 10:36 PM
Subject: [sword-devel] Is "original input source" for modules available?

> Greg H: wrote:
>> Getting a copy of the "original" source should be close to possible using
> the exporter programs.  If Practice was made with the imp format, you
> should
> be able to do something like 'mod2imp Practice > Practice.txt' <forgets
> exact syntax>.
>
> That was VERY helpful. Thanks. I've been able to "clone" from several
> existing modules and build various "flavors" of modules.

I've been "chipping away" at a HowTo tutorial that is written from the
perspective of a module-making newbie, and would appreciate being able to
look at actual input source that was used for some of the existing modules.

The mod2imp console utility works to recreate something that can be used as
an input source. However, it seems to invariably produce alternating lines
of $$$ and contents. At first I thought this was required, but some trial
and error (plus re-reading the existing CrossWire directions ... rtm)
indicated that it isn't ... or at least some or all of the various flavors
of converters (imp2gbs, imp2ld, imp2vs, etc.) seem to accept flexible imput.

As long as this newbie is preparing a tutorial, it seems reasonable to base
the examples on something approaching "best practice".

BTW, here is a link to an update of the tutorial. Feedback appreciated.
http://lcdbible.sourceforge.net/misc/CwModuleTutorial_060216e.doc