[sword-devel] BibleCS Installer: HKCU vs HKLM

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 14 06:29:37 MST 2006

L.Allan-pbio wrote:
> I tested with a limited user account on WinXp-Sp2, and based on that
> modified the HkcuVsHklm test a smidge to detect whether the person
> using the installer has Admin priv, or just limited user priv.

Good work!

> Based on this, the custom page's PreShow function can decide whether
> or not to show the custom page at all (won't show it for limited user).
>
> This probably doesn't address all the issues, but maybe enough to not
> punt quite yet and insist on Admin priv?

If you do the leg work, I'll incorporate it. But at some point we need
to do a release. And at that point whatever is solid will make the cut
and be used. We can still work on it for the next release.

> My impression is that a limited user can read HKLM. I'm pretty sure
> that nsis has the capabilit to detect WinNt4/2k/Xp vs Win98, but I
> haven't used that (may be a plugin).

There is a function in WriteEnvStr.nsh, which we use for SWORD_PATH,
called isNT. So if it returns that it is not "NT" and the page is not
offered.

Since we need to assume that if a user does not have admin privs that
they must do a limited user install, should we make the reverse
assumption, that if they can do admin install that we will do it.

> However, you may be correct that a limited user will have problems
> writing to C:\Program Files ..... which presents a big problem. On my
> test computer, the C:\Program Files was created by my normal Admin
> account, which may prevent a subsequent limited user account from
> writing to it .... that might not be the case if the C:\Program Files
> was created on a computer that didn't have a previous Admin account
> established. Shucks.

I don't think that it matters. If it can't be written to on some
machines, but because of how the user upgraded to their current os, then
we shouldn't use that location.
That would be a show stopper. There must be an alternative location for
a limited user.

> There will probably be similar issues with SWORD_PATH ... a limited
> user can probably set this environment variable for just themselves,
> not all users.

Hopefully, WriteEnvStr has all that figured out. But we should check.

> Here are revised functions ... the only other change is swapping the
> "state" in the .ini file for Field 1 and Field 2. At the following
> link from the nsis function, the principal nsis developer describes
> how to detect admin priv mode vs limted user mode:
> http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=122968

I'll add this into my working copy.

> Function .onInit
>  ClearErrors
>  StrCpy $HkeyChoice "all"
>  WriteRegStr HKLM "SOFTWARE\CrossWire\The SWORD Project" "HkcuVsHklm"
> "$HkeyChoice"
>  IfErrors LimitedUserDetected AdminLevelDetected
>    LimitedUserDetected:
>      MessageBox MB_OK "Limited User Detected"
>      StrCpy $HkeyChoice "current"
>      GoTo PrivLevelDetected
>    AdminLevelDetected:
>      MessageBox MB_OK "Admin User Detected"
>      DeleteRegValue HKLM "SOFTWARE\CrossWire\The SWORD Project"
> "HkcuVsHklm"
>      DeleteRegValue HKCU "SOFTWARE\CrossWire\The SWORD Project"
> "HkcuVsHklm"
>
>  PrivLevelDetected:
>  !insertmacro MUI_INSTALLOPTIONS_EXTRACT "HkcuVsHklm_CustomPage.ini"
> FunctionEnd
>
> Function PreShowInstallChoices
>  StrCmp $HkeyChoice "current" 0 ShowInstallChoices
>    SetShellVarContext current
>    Abort
>
>  ShowInstallChoices:
>    !insertmacro MUI_HEADER_TEXT "$(TEXT_IO_TITLE)" "$(TEXT_IO_SUBTITLE)"
>    !insertmacro MUI_INSTALLOPTIONS_DISPLAY "HkcuVsHklm_CustomPage.ini"
> FunctionEnd
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "DM Smith" <dmsmith555 at yahoo.com>

>>> Text=Install for just this user
>>> Flags=NOTIFY|GROUP
>>> State=0   ### Was 1 .... if shows custom page, must be admin
>>> Left=0
>>> Right=-10
>>> Top=0
>>> Bottom=12
>>>
>>> [Field 2]
>>> Type=RadioButton
>>> Text=Install for all users on this computer
>>> Flags=NOTIFY|NOTABSTOP
>>> State=1  ### was 0 ... if shows custom page, must be admin
>>> Left=0
>>> Right=-10
>>> Top=20