[sword-devel] Re: Food for thought regarding OSIS and some of its alternatives...

Kahunapule Michael Johnson kahunapule at mpj.cx
Wed Feb 8 00:50:27 MST 2006

Sean Boisen wrote:
> I appreciate the problems with trying to use an inherently
> tree-structured notation like XML to mark overlapping regions. I'm not
> in touch with what the OSIS thinkers are thinking: other than the
> milestone approach, has anybody considered combining in-line markup
> identifying critical basic elements (probably words) with standoff
> indexed markup? As a concrete (and over-simplified) example:
>
> <t id="1">Jesus</t>
> <t id="2">said</t>
> <t id="3">,</t>
> <t id="4">"</t>
> <t id="5">You<t>
> <t id="6">have</t>
> <t id="7">said</t>
> <t id="8">so</t>
> <t id="9">.</t>
> <t id="10">"</t>
>
> with red-letter spans indexed with start-end indices <woc start="5"
> end="9"/>. The standoff index markup doesn't need to nest, it just
> marks spans.
Congratulations. You have proven that more complex schemas than OSIS can
be invented. :-)
Another idea: why not mark the beginning-of-verse markers with
currently-active attributes (Words of Christ, OT Quote in the NT, etc.)
at that point in the text. (This need not be done while drafting the
text, but could be added by a program after drafting to make XSLT
conversions and extractions of individual verse ranges easier.)

<q level="1"><v id="4" textattributes="wj">“Blessed are the poor in
spirit,</q>
<q level="2">for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.<f caller="+">Isaiah
57:15; 66:2</f></q>
<v id="5" textattributes="wj">...

Or just repeat the text attributes as necessary to maintain nesting